Queensland’s Fraser Coast situated three hours’ drive north of Brisbane is a mecca for caravanners, campers, outdoors, and 4×4 enthusiasts.
With an abundance of commercial tourist parks to choose from, this is one of only a few places in Australia with multiple parks located directly on the beach. The Fraser Coast is a diverse destination for travellers who are motivated by encounters with nature, marine life, adventure, getting off the grid and spending time outdoors. One of the most popular domestic holiday destinations in the state, the Fraser Coast is a spread out, pristine holiday place with great bike paths, year-round marine adventures, and kilometres of unspoiled, safe beaches sheltered in the lee of K’gari-Fraser Island, and a hinterland rich in industrial and military history. It boasts one of the best climates in the nation with mild temperatures, averaging twenty-two degrees in winter and thirty in summer.
- Visit K’gari-Fraser Island: The largest sand island in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage site. You can explore its pristine beaches, freshwater lakes like Lake McKenzie, the Maheno Shipwreck, and lush rainforests. Popular activities include 4WD tours, swimming, hiking, and camping.
- Whale Watching: The Fraser Coast is renowned as the whale watching capital of the world! The annual humpback whale migration goes from July to October. You can take a boat tour from Hervey Bay to see these majestic creatures up close as they pass through the area.
- Explore Hervey Bay: Hervey Bay serves as the gateway to K’gari-Fraser Island and offers its own attractions. Enjoy swimming at the calm beaches, strolling or cycling along the scenic Esplanade, visit the Hervey Bay Botanic Gardens, or indulge in water sports such as kayaking, paddleboarding, or jet skiing. You can even do a day trip to Lady Elliot Island directly from Hervey Bay to snorkel and dive the Southern Great Barrier Reef!
- Discover Maryborough: Maryborough is a historic town with beautifully preserved colonial architecture. Explore its heritage streetscape, visit the birthplace of P.L. Travers, the creator of Mary Poppins, and stroll through Queens Park. Do not miss the Maryborough Military & Colonial Museum and the Free Guided Maryborough Heritage Walk.
- Experience the Great Sandy Strait: Located between K’gari-Fraser Island and the mainland, offer excellent opportunities for fishing, boating, and wildlife spotting. Join a guided eco-tour to see dolphins, turtles, and various bird species in their natural habitat. You can also explore the diverse marine life while snorkelling or diving.
Visit Fraser Coast Tourism & Events at site P310.